Genealogy Report    Close this window
Descendants of William Gamble Galloway
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM GAMBLE1 GALLOWAY was born 1767 in St Andrews, Dublin, Ireland, and died 1846 in Bath, Wiltshire. He married JANE ANNE CLOSSY 15 May 1787 in St Andrew, Dublin, Ireland. She was born 1767, and died 19 August 1826 in Liverpool, England.
Notes for WILLIAM GAMBLE GALLOWAY:
1. He came from Ireland, the family having fled there from Scotland in "the troubles". He appears to have been a leading light in the Orange Lodge in Dublin.
2. Latterly he lived in Northam, Devonshire and is reported to have died at Bath, Wiltshire. His daughter, Eliza, lived with him and also died there.
3. In Ireland, at the time of his marriage, he is recorded as William Gamble Galwey (or Galway).
4. Records in the IGI Family Search database have his marriage in Dublin on 15 May 1787 either to Jane A Clossy or to "Miss Bardell". The former is more likely to be correct as the name Clossy appears elsewhere in the Galloway family records.
More About WILLIAM GAMBLE GALLOWAY:
Cause of Death: Bronchitis
Residence 1: Bet. 1792 - 1801, 26 North Anne Street, Dublin, Ireland
Residence 2: 1841, Fore St., Northam, Devon, England
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM GALLOWAY and JANE CLOSSY:
1. In another IGI record the spouse name is given as Miss Bardell. This seems likely to be an error since there exists other evidence for the name Jane Anne Clossy as the wife of William Gamble Galloway.
More About WILLIAM GALLOWAY and JANE CLOSSY:
Marriage: 15 May 1787, St Andrew, Dublin, Ireland
Children of WILLIAM GALLOWAY and JANE CLOSSY are:
i. ELIZA ANNE2 GALLOWAY, b. c. 1790; d. 11 April 1792, Dublin, Ireland.
2. ii. THOMAS LEECH LENNOX GALLOWAY, b. 28 August 1794, Dublin, Ireland; d. 26 December 1842, Fort William, Calcutta, India.
iii. ELIZA GALLOWAY, b. c. 1805, Ireland; d. 1868, Bath, Wiltshire.
More About ELIZA GALLOWAY:
Residence: 1841, Fore St., Northam, Devon, England
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2 GALLOWAY (WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 28 August 1794 in Dublin, Ireland, and died 26 December 1842 in Fort William, Calcutta, India. He married ISABELLA ANNE COFFIN 27 January 1823 in East Stonehouse, near Plymouth, Devon, England, daughter of FRANCIS COFFIN and REBECCA MAWBY. She was born 1799 in Dover, Kent, England, and died Aft. 1881.
Notes for THOMAS LEECH LENNOX GALLOWAY:
Military career: HM 10th Regiment - appointed 2nd Lieut 1816, Lieut 1823, Capt 1826, Major 1835.
More About THOMAS LEECH LENNOX GALLOWAY:
Cause of Death: Cholera
Military service: 10th Regt. of Foot
Residence: 1841, Dawson Street, Deansgate, Manchester, England
Notes for ISABELLA ANNE COFFIN:
1. At the time of the 1881 UK census Isabella A Galloway was living at 66 Gloucester Cres., Paddington, London, with grandchildren Ella M Galloway and Stewart Galloway. Also listed on this census return were a governess, cook, nurse and two maids.
More About ISABELLA ANNE COFFIN:
Residence: 1881, 66 Gloucester Cres., London, UK.
More About THOMAS GALLOWAY and ISABELLA COFFIN:
Marriage: 27 January 1823, East Stonehouse, near Plymouth, Devon, England
Children of THOMAS GALLOWAY and ISABELLA COFFIN are:
i. ISABELLA MARY ANNE3 GALLOWAY, b. 25 March 1824, Rathkeale, Co Limerick, Ireland; d. 16 May 1826, Castlebar, Co Mayo, Ireland.
ii. STEWART CAMPBELL COFFIN GALLOWAY, b. 19 June 1825, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland; d. 1850, Wurpambad, East Indies.
More About STEWART CAMPBELL COFFIN GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 6 July 1825
Christening: 20 August 1825
iii. ISABELLA MARY ANNE BERTIE GALLOWAY, b. 11 October 1826, Guernsey, UK; d. 11 July 1828, Corfu, Greece.
iv. MARY ANN BERTIE GALLOWAY, b. 31 January 1829, Corfu, Greece; m. (1) EDWARD RICHARD KING, 13 July 1869; b. c. 1825; d. c. 1879; m. (2) ELBOROUGH WOODCOCK, Aft. 1879; b. c. 1830.
More About MARY ANN BERTIE GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 2 March 1829, Corfu, Greece
More About EDWARD KING and MARY GALLOWAY:
Marriage: 13 July 1869
More About ELBOROUGH WOODCOCK and MARY GALLOWAY:
Marriage: Aft. 1879
v. WILLIAM FRANCIS GALLOWAY, b. 18 February 1830, Zante (Ionian Islands), Greece; d. 3 October 1830, Corfu, Greece.
More About WILLIAM FRANCIS GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 6 May 1830, Zante (Ionian Islands), Greece
vi. FREDERICK ADAM GALLOWAY, b. 3 August 1831, Paxo (Ionian Islands), Greece; d. 13 November 1836.
More About FREDERICK ADAM GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 25 October 1831, Paxo (Ionian Islands), Greece
vii. SEBRIGHT FREER GALLOWAY, b. 20 December 1833, Paxo (Ionian Islands), Greece; d. 27 September 1838, Blackburn, Lancashire.
More About SEBRIGHT FREER GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 18 April 1834, Corfu, Greece
Cause of Death: Scarlet fever
viii. THOMAS EDWARD GALLOWAY, b. 1835, Santa Maura (Ionian Islands); d. 4 November 1839, Blackburn, Lancashire.
ix. WILLIAM FRANCIS PARSONS GALLOWAY, b. 1836, Santa Maura (Ionian Islands); d. 1839, Blackburn, Lancashire.
x. JANE ANNA GALLOWAY, b. 24 February 1838, Truro, Cornwall; m. J HOTHAM KINGSTON, 1865.
More About JANE ANNA GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 27 July 1838, Truro, Cornwall
More About J KINGSTON and JANE GALLOWAY:
3. xi. JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY GALLOWAY, b. 19 April 1840, Burnley, Lancashire, England; d. 1916, Christchurch, England.
4. xii. FRANK GALLOWAY, b. 21 March 1842, 13 Manchester Street, London; d. 2 July 1931, 51 Binswood Ave., Leamington Spa, England.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY3 GALLOWAY (THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 19 April 1840 in Burnley, Lancashire, England, and died 1916 in Christchurch, England. He married EMILY (OR AMELIA) JANE HARRIS 1867, daughter of AYLMER HARRIS and JULIA DAVIES. She was born 27 June 1846 in Tamil Nadu, India.
Notes for JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY GALLOWAY:
1. The IGI database has the name transcribed incorrectly as John Mawley Clossy Galloway.
More About JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 5 June 1840, Burnley, Lancashire
Military service: Madras Cavalry
Residence: 1901, Egmore, East Cliff, Bournemouth
More About EMILY (OR AMELIA) JANE HARRIS:
Christening: 21 July 1846, Bangalore, Tamil Nadu, India
More About JOHN GALLOWAY and EMILY HARRIS:
Children of JOHN GALLOWAY and EMILY HARRIS are:
5. i. FRANK LENNOX4 GALLOWAY, b. 1869, Secunderabad, India.
ii. ELLA MARION GALLOWAY, b. 1872, Secunderabad, India.
iii. STEWART B C GALLOWAY, b. 1873, Southsea, Hampshire; m. KATHLEEN GILLESPIE.
6. iv. AYLMER GEORGE GALLOWAY, b. 1877.
4. FRANK3 GALLOWAY (THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 21 March 1842 in 13 Manchester Street, London, and died 2 July 1931 in 51 Binswood Ave., Leamington Spa, England. He married MADELINA DOROTHEA PERCIVAL MAXWELL 27 December 1874 in Groomsport Church, Co Down, Ireland, daughter of ROBERT PERCIVAL MAXWELL. She was born 1844 in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland ?, and died 1938.
More About FRANK GALLOWAY:
Baptism: 13 April 1842, St Mary-le-Bow (?), Middlesex
Military service: Bet. 1860 - 1893, Royal Artillery
Residence 1: 1901, 8 St Mary's Road, Leamington, England
Residence 2: 1920, Norwood House, Leamington, England
More About FRANK GALLOWAY and MADELINA MAXWELL:
Marriage: 27 December 1874, Groomsport Church, Co Down, Ireland
Children of FRANK GALLOWAY and MADELINA MAXWELL are:
i. HELENA (NELLIE) R4 GALLOWAY, b. c. 1875, India; d. 1973.
7. ii. LENNOX GALLOWAY, b. 1882.
iii. ROBERT LEECH GALLOWAY, b. 1884; d. 1970; m. MARY (MAY) WINIFRED BERNARD, 27 July 1920; b. 27 October 1886.
More About ROBERT LEECH GALLOWAY:
Residence: 1920, Lough Grange, Killmaloch, Co Limerick, Ireland
More About ROBERT GALLOWAY and MARY BERNARD:
Marriage: 27 July 1920
8. iv. VIOLET GALLOWAY, b. c. 1885, Ireland; d. c. 1960.
Generation No. 4
5. FRANK LENNOX4 GALLOWAY (JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY3, THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 1869 in Secunderabad, India. He married ANNA SAVORY 1899 in Shipston-on-Stour, Worcestershire, England, daughter of ALBERT SAVORY. She was born 1872 in Weybridge, Surrey, England.
More About FRANK LENNOX GALLOWAY:
Military service: Royal Artillery
Occupation: 1901, Capt. Royal Artillery
Residence: 1901, 29 Shooters Hill Road, Woolwich, England
More About ANNA SAVORY:
Residence: 1901, 29 Shooters Hill Road, Woolwich, England
More About FRANK GALLOWAY and ANNA SAVORY:
Marriage: 1899, Shipston-on-Stour, Worcestershire, England
Children of FRANK GALLOWAY and ANNA SAVORY are:
i. HAZEL5 GALLOWAY.
ii. JOHN LENNOX GALLOWAY, m. HOPE BROOK WEBB.
iii. PATIENCE GALLOWAY, b. 1898.
iv. LESLEY GALLOWAY, b. 1909; d. 1931, Switzerland (skiing accident).
6. AYLMER GEORGE4 GALLOWAY (JOHN MAWBY CLOSSY3, THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 1877. He married GERTRUDE LILY JENKINS 24 July 1907 in Christchurch, Southampton, daughter of THOMAS JENKINS and AUGUSTA WYATT. She was born 12 January 1880 in Prome, Burma.
More About AYLMER GEORGE GALLOWAY:
Military service: Royal Army Service Corps
More About AYLMER GALLOWAY and GERTRUDE JENKINS:
Marriage: 24 July 1907, Christchurch, Southampton
Children of AYLMER GALLOWAY and GERTRUDE JENKINS are:
i. GEOFFREY LEWIS5 GALLOWAY, b. 12 November 1908, Valetta, Malta; d. 6 November 1992, Carshalton, Surrey; m. JOCELYN MARY POWELL KETTLE, 1941; b. 9 September 1916, India.
More About GEOFFREY LEWIS GALLOWAY:
Military service: Royal Engineers
More About GEOFFREY GALLOWAY and JOCELYN KETTLE:
ii. IVY MURIEL GALLOWAY, b. 3 September 1911, Rochester, Kent; d. 29 October 1976; m. REGINALD RUSH.
iii. PHYLLIS LILY GALLOWAY, b. 8 September 1916, Canterbury, Kent; m. GEORGE RANDALL.
7. LENNOX4 GALLOWAY (FRANK3, THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born 1882. He married (1) EILEEN ROSETTI REED 27 March 1916 in Kensington, Middlesex, England, daughter of EDWARD REED and (UNKNOWN). She was born c. 1885. He married (2) BRENDA MARY SMITH 1929.
More About LENNOX GALLOWAY:
Military service: Royal Artillery
More About LENNOX GALLOWAY and EILEEN REED:
Marriage: 27 March 1916, Kensington, Middlesex, England
More About LENNOX GALLOWAY and BRENDA SMITH:
Child of LENNOX GALLOWAY and EILEEN REED is:
i. ANTHONY LENNOX5 GALLOWAY, b. 24 November 1917; d. 8 February 1997; m. URSULA LUND.
8. VIOLET4 GALLOWAY (FRANK3, THOMAS LEECH LENNOX2, WILLIAM GAMBLE1) was born c. 1885 in Ireland, and died c. 1960. She married HARVEY HADDEN. He was born c. 1880.
Children of VIOLET GALLOWAY and HARVEY HADDEN are:
i. DORIS5 HADDEN, b. 1902; d. 1940.
ii. HARVEY HADDEN, b. 1909.
Close this window